If you are searching for a comprehensive overview on the philosophy of yoga, this is your ideal course. During this course, we'll look at all of the main texts associated with yoga: Vedanta and Samkhya, the Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, and, of course, the Yoga Sutras of Patañjali.
Here is an overview of the seven sessions:
- Session One: You'll start by studying the principal ideas within Vedanta and Samkhya as well as the influence they've had on Yoga theory and practice.
- Session Two: You'll review the Upanishads and the Mahabharata and explore how they relate to the Yoga Sutras of Patañjali.
- Session Three: An extensive look into a well-known passage in the Bhagavad Gita will show how Krishna explains religious doctrine and how Yogic concepts are encapsulated within this.
- Session Four: You'll study the first two chapters of the Yoga Sutras, the text that is considered the foundational work of Yoga philosophy.
- Session Five: Building on the previous session, you'll continue by studying the third and fourth chapters of the Yoga Sutras and the principle ideas from the text.
- Session Six: Explore how contemporary Yoga practice is actually influenced by two different traditions: both Vedic and Tantric ideals.
- Session Seven: In this final session, you will explore Hatha Yoga Pradipika and work to identify the spiritual and philosophical ideas within this practice manual.
Try before you buy